Saturday, October 6, 2012

"Docked" by Eva Marie Tanner Klaas

"Docked" 8x10 Oil on canvas board
This is a boat docked at the Brookings/Harbor Port.  The dock has been damaged perhaps by the tsunami but it still a working dock.
To me this was a complex subject. This meant I had to set up a game plan before attempting to paint it.  Therefore, I spent the morning cropping the original photo into several different compositions until I was happy with this one.  I constantly checked my proportions while drawing.   I have a tendency not to measure consistently because I just want to jump into the painting. This creates too many frustrating problems later on and  results in poor artwork. I used a limited palette to work on my problem with  values and I took my time analyzing the direction of the brush strokes due to the different planes.  Sounds exhausting, doesn't it?  It is. But in my mind, it was good study in values, perspective and proportions. 






 .

No comments:

Post a Comment