Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Know Your Tendencies By Eva Marie Tanner Klaas


Learning composition is important when drawing and painting. Sounds obvious, doesn't it?  One of the important tools when learning art is to know your tendencies. I have heard this over and over again with the classes I take.
I have a tendency to put everything right in the middle of the canvas and I make objects too short. These are two of my tendencies so I have to be aware of them when I am drawing and painting.   
To correct this, I was taught to draw a few compositional value sketches and crop them until I get a good composition. I have to repeatedly measure objects to ensure they are tall enough. 
In my recent class  with art instructor Randy Blasquez's,  she had us paint notans and timed us. It was a very successful lesson.  You can see examples at  evamarietannerklaas.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment